Well finally! I have a job. After two months of resumes, applications, interviews and staffing agencies I am finally gainfully employed. And wouldn't you know it...with two jobs.
Job number 1 is through a staffing agency. They have assigned me three days a week to a trucking company. Please... of all the places I never thought I'd work, a trucking company is one. But it's money coming in. Barely. My glamorous job is calling for employment and education verifications. I am constantly amazed at the jobs people leave to become truck drivers. At the same time, I am not surprised at other types of people who become truck drivers. And the qualifying schools are as varied as the students. But I am most surprised at myself at being surprised at how many people lie on job applications. Do they think employers don't check? Of course they think this. Don't even get me started on criminal backgrounds... . So before you think to ask; no, I don't want this to be a career. Nooooo way!
Job number 2 is right up my alley. As you know, I was a Church and Community Worker for the General Board of Global Ministries (GBGM) of the United Methodist Church (yeah, you should see the resume title). I had to take a leave of absence when I got married and moved to Georgia because there are no assignments available in GA. But my dear friend Becky (the Deaconess Mother Superior, if you will)submitted my name to Mission Personnel as someone to consider for Consultant to the New Missionary Recruitment Campaign (see email link below). I was considered, interviewed, offered and I accepted. The position will only last about a year and I probably will not be really busy until the end of summer through the end of the campaign. So I will continue to work the short-term temporary jobs from Randstad for a little while. Even at trucking companies.
But, I am working! I'm paying my taxes and earning money.
Honey... back later. I'm going shopping!
Now for that link: http://new.gbgm-umc.org/missionaries/
No comments:
Post a Comment